Cut out images (sometimes know as deep etched images) are photos where the object has been cut out from it’s original background and placed onto a clean, white background.
Why are they important?
– If you look at the majority of products featured in magazines and blogs, you’ll notice they’re usually part of a shopping type page (« get the look », new products of the month…). To secure spots in these types of spreads, it’s important that brands have professional, individual product shots readily available for journalists. Cut out images on a crisp white background like above are very easy for a journalist to incorporate into their features so are highly favourable.
– While a great lifestyle shot is important to have as well, a high percentage of the downloads from journalists on Press Loft are of cut out images and quite often journalist call-outs request this style of image.
– Cut out images also make your product image clean and look much more professional. They’re more appealing to the eye and by having this type of image on your own websites, you are putting your products in the best light, which will absolutely help with sales.
– Obviously not all products will suit cut-out images. Wallpaper and flooring for example are often displayed best in lifestyle shots.
How do I deep etch my image?
– You can either do it yourself in a photo editing program like Photoshop or Gimp. There are plenty of tutorials online.
– Ask your photographer to supply images deep etched onto a white background when you do your next product shoot and they can just incorporate this into their editing process for you.
– There are also some websites that makes it extremely easy to cut a background an image:Photocissors, MisterClipping.com. Just upload your current images with any type of background and they will send them back to you cut out professionally.
(!) To keep in mind:
– Even cut out, your images need to be high res (300dpi);
– Offer a choice to journalists: present products singly, as a group, under different angles…
– Do not be careless about Lifestyle shots.
What is Press Loft?
PR platform specialising in the home, gift and lifestyle sectors that helps thousands of brands to get their products into the press.
Our PR tools allow companies to easily secure press coverage & quality backlinks for SEO by connecting with our extensive network of +18,000 journalists, bloggers and influencers.
Did you know that we offer a FREE trial* of our PR tools (including Influencer outreach) for gifts and interiors brands? Click here to start your free trial and join over 1000 brands already using Press Loft for their business.
*Trial offer available for new members only