About the Pantone Trend Report
Each year in December, the Pantone Colour Institute issues the Pantone® Colour Trend Report, forecasting the top colour for the upcoming season. This is a hot topic for journalists, leading to widespread press coverage containing related colour-themed products. On Press Loft last year, our Living Coral Trend led to 3000 image downloads! Read on to see what we predict for 2020…
Why is the Colour of the year important in PR?
Journalists are already thinking ahead to Spring 2020 and, as Pantone will reveal its forecast in early December, brands need to get ready to maximise their press coverage for the winning colour!
To make sure you are not missing out on this big PR opportunity, here is a list of things to do when the colour is announced:
- Sign up to the Press Loft PR newsletter – we will let you know as soon as the colour is announced.
- Follow @pantone on Instagram.
- Add keywords to any relevant images on Press Loft.
- Add a specific keyword to all of the relevant images on Press Loft. If the colour selected is “Cinnamon Stick”, make sure to add that keyword to the relevant images. You might want to add keywords like Pantone Colour of the Year 2020, Colour of the Year, Pantone 2020… Journalists will download heavily on Press Loft during the first week, so you want to make sure to have your products coming up in the search results.
- Send a press release with your product selection matching the colour of the year – make sure to add your selection of images in the press release to reflect the trend.
- Share your selection/trend/press release on social media and add the relevant #/tag. This will most likely be #PantoneColourOftheYear2020 #PCOTY2020 #Pantonecolour2020 #Pantone2020.
- Keep up to date with the trend and follow the trend or hashtag on Instagram.
- If you don’t have any specific colours that match the colour of the year, try to look for products that will complement that colour. It’s always nice to think about what would go with the colour!
Last year, the very popular Pantone Colour of the Year “Living Coral” got incredible coverage in the media online and in print:
Evening Standard – Stylist – House Beautiful – The Resident – Good Homes – Homes and Property – Telegraph – Vogue – Elle Decor
Press Loft key numbers from the Colour of The Year 2019: Living Coral:
+3800 images were downloaded for that colour
+1000 pieces of coverage generated in the press
+18,000 journalists in our network received the Colour of the Year trend on the day the trend was announced
Press Loft’s Predictions for the Colour of the Year 2020
The palette for next year is a mixture of bold brights and muted natural shades.
“Combining our desire for stability, creativity, and more spontaneous design approaches, the colour palette for Spring/Summer 2020 infuses heritage and tradition with a colourful youthful update that creates strong multi-coloured combinations as well as energizing and optimistic pairings,” said Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute.
At Press Loft, we have voted for Pantone 14-1064 Saffron, with Pantone 17-4021 Faded Denim coming a close second. Let’s see in December if we have hit the mark!
Below we have a selection of round-ups based on the Pantone Colour Palette – we wonder which one will be the winning one!?
Pantone 18-1662 Flame Scarlet
Pantone 14-1064 Saffron
Pantone 19-4052 Classic Blue
Pantone 15-5718 Biscay Green
Pantone 19-0323 Chive
Pantone 17-4021 Faded Denim
Pantone 16-1359 Orange Peel
Pantone 18-4528 Mosaic Blue
Pantone 13-0822 Sunlight
Pantone 14-1318 Coral Pink
Pantone 18-1345 Cinnamon Stick
Pantone 18-3513 Grape Compote
Sign up to the Press Loft PR newsletter – we will let you know as soon as the colour is announced.